The World Intellectual Property Organisation, (WIPO) is a United Nations agency founded in 1967 and headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It’s Director General is an Australian national, Francis Gurry, who’s current six year term ends in September 2014. The WIPO currently has 185 member states and promotes the development and understanding of an international Intellectual Property system by providing advice, research, analysis to support the development of a global IP system.
The WIPO also recognises the achievements of inventors, creators and innovative companies around the world, via the WIPO Awards Program which aims to foster a culture in which innovation and creativity are encouraged across all layers of society.
The WIOP works with member states to improve understanding and respect for IP worldwide. and contribute IP-based solutions to help tackle global challenges. The WIPO activities are undertaken to support the achievment of the agency’s nine strategic goals:
WIPO’s nine strategic goals were adopted by our member states in December 2009 in the first phase of a comprehensive strategic realignment process within the Organization. They reflect the evolving challenges for WIPO and for intellectual property in today’s rapidly changing environment:
- Balanced Evolution of the International Normative Framework for IP
- Provision of Premier Global IP Services
- Facilitating the Use of IP for Development
- Coordination and Development of Global IP Infrastructure
- World Reference Source for IP Information and Analysis
- International Cooperation on Building Respect for IP
- Addressing IP in Relation to Global Policy Issues
- A Responsive Communications Interface between WIPO, its Member States and All Stakeholders
- An Efficient Administrative and Financial Support Structure to Enable WIPO to Deliver its Programs
In this World IP Day 2014 message, WIPO Director General Francis Gurry reflects on IP in the global film industry, and the opportunities and challenges of the digital age. Find out more about IP and movies at http://www.wipo.int/ipday. Written message: http://www.wipo.int/ip-outreach/en/ipday/2014/dg_message.html On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/worldipday.